I want a Jesse Tree, but I don't want to make 28 different handcrafted ornaments and I don't like the look of those paper print out kind.
So, I was poking around Pinterest and found this article. This blogger at the Mac and Cheese Chronicles organized a Jesse Tree Ornament Swap. I just need 27 other people nuts enough to agree to make 28 of one of the symbols/ornaments. Then you mail me all 28 completed works of art, plus $6-$9 return postage. I will sort and ship 27 complete sets of Jesse Tree ornaments.
Yes, she invited her peeps in mid-October, but you all would procrastinate until now anyway. If you want to play, I will need all of your completed symbols on November 28th, then I can ship them out and hopefully everyone will get their set by November 30th. That gives you 2 weeks! Think of Bob the Builder! You can do it!
I'm getting my symbols from The Jesse Tree: A Family Craft for Advent by Catherine Fournier that I bought on Amazon. I know experts CANNOT agree on what symbols go on the Jesse Tree so I went with the verses and symbols in this book, mostly. I have given a couple of options for the tougher ones.
I've googled and looked up Bible verses and given myself a headache and Baby J four cookies and this is what I've got. In parentheses are ideas for the symbol. Choose one, or read the verse and come up with your own.
Please note, we have the potential to have several sheep, candles, stars and doves. There was another symbol and verse for shepherds, but we already have 28 right here, and a couple of lamb images already.
1. Jesse Tree or Stump 1 Samuel 16:1-13 Amanda
2. Adam (sun or earth) Genesis 1:24-28 Karen
3. Eve (Apple and Snake) Genesis 3: 1-24 Blair
4. Noah (ark or rainbow) Genesis 6:11-22, 8:6-12 Elizabeth C.
5. Abraham and Sarah (tent) Genesis 12:1-7, 13:2-18 Ingrid
6. Isaac and Rebecca (ram or lamb or silver pitcher or bundle of wood or altar) Genesis 22:1-14 Mary
7. Jacob and Rachel (ladder) Genesis 27:41 and 28:22 Cal Fan
8. Prophecy of Isaiah (one of these names: "And His name will be called
Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty God,Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace", or throne of David) Isaiah 9:2-7 Jessica
9. Joseph (many colored coat) Genesis 37:1-36 Anne H.
10. Moses (tablets of commandments or burning bush or baby in basket) Exodus 20:1-17 Emily B.
11. Aaron (rod and serpent or blessing hand) Numbers 6:22-27 Cassandra
12. Samuel (lamp) 1 Samuel 3: 1-21 E. Simmons
13. David (harp or slingshot) 1 Samuel 16:14-23 Mary Kate D.
14. Psalm 23: Good Shepherd (shepherd's crook) Kerri
15. Solomon (crown) 1 Kings 3:3-28 Kris M.
16. Elijah (raven or manna or chariot of fire) 1 Kings 17:1-16 Or choose Joshua or Ruth, but give me a chapter and verse for the handout. Lena - Ruth
17. Elisha (dove) 2 Kings 5: 1-27 Or choose Judith or Jonah, but give me a chapter and verse for the handout. taken by So Many Things to Love
18. Isaiah (scroll, live coal and tongs, anvil and sword, sword and plowshare) Isaiah 6:1-8 Lisa G.
19. Jeremiah (book of law) Jeremiah 31:31-34 or choose Samson or Daniel, but give me a Bible chapter and verse for the handout. Angi?
20. Nehemiah (city of Jerusalem or brick wall) Nehemiah 13:10-22 Michelle
21. Angel Hebrews1:1-14 Cheryl C.
22. Zechariah (ark of covenant, or tablet and pencil or chalk, or thurible of incense) Luke 1:5-25 Angela
23. Mary (heart or lily or any Mary image or symbol) Luke 1:26-38 Dwija
24. Elizabeth (mother and child or visitation scene) Luke 1: 39-56 Charlotte
25. John the Baptist (scallop shell with water, river)Luke 1:57-80 Cari D.
26. Joseph (tools) Matthew 1: 18-2:1 Josee
27. Magi (three crowns, camels, or Bethlehem star)Matthew2:1-12 Rose D.
28. Baby Jesus (or Chi Ro) Luke 2:1-20 Kathy A.
29. Samson Kelly C.
30. Joshua Becky
31. Judith or Jonah Lauren
32. Daniel Lenetta
Comment or email me if you'd like to join the partay. You know you want to.